Super Food Type: Root
Maca Root (Lepidium meyenii), is a super-food native to the mountains of Peru and is cultivated as high as 4300 meters above sea level. It has been used for over 3500 years and legend claims that during the peak of the Incan empire, the warriors consumed maca before going into battle to ensure superior strength and stamina. On return from battle however, Incan soldiers were prohibited from using maca in order to protect the women from their insatiable sexual desires. Maca is renowned for providing strength, endurance and enhanced libido.
So what is maca?
A member of the cruciferous tribe such as kale and cabbage, maca is abundant in potassium, magnesium, calcium, sulfur, iron, sodium and phosphorous and also contains trace minerals which includes iodine, zinc, selenium, bismuth, copper, magnese, tin and silicon. It is also rich in vitamins B1, B2, C and E.
Maca has the ability to stabilise and balance the body’s glandular-hormonal system, nervous system, cardiovascular system and musculature. These factors make maca ideal for managing hormones, stress levels, thyroid function and your mood in general.
According to super-food expert David Wolfe, maca is great if you suffer from:
- Chronic fatigue
- Infertility and sterility
- Lack of libido
- Menopausal symptoms
- Menstrual discomfort and disorders
- Poor memory
- Stomach cancer
- Stress tension
How to use it and where to purchase it?
Because of its high quality health benefits, maca can be used in greater quantities than other medicinal herbs. It has also found to be safe to use long-term. You can purchase it online or at most health food stores in dried, raw, organic food. To ensure the best quality product it is important to only purchase maca from the root of the plant and not other components.
Use a tablespoon in smoothies, juices, nut milks, tea or coffee, or add to your raw chocolate treats.
Here’s a recipe to get you started:
Maca and Chocolate Smoothie with Strawberries
- 1 cup of cashew milk (or ½ cup of soaked cashew nuts and 1 cup of water)
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon of maca root powder
- 2 tablespoons of raw cacao powder
- 1 cup of fresh strawberries
- 2 small frozen bananas (broken into chunks)
- 1 vanilla pod
- 2 tablespoons of raw cacao nibs.
- Blend the cashew milk, chia seeds, maca root powder and raw cacao powder.
- Cut open the vanilla pod and scrape the contents into the blender.
- Add the strawberries and frozen banana, blending until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into two glasses and sprinkle with raw cacao nibs.
Discover the amazing benefits for your health and sex drive with this ancient super-food.
Article Source: https://EzineArticles.com/expert/Nicole_English/2334958
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/9532228